French Macarons (The Black Forest and La Vie en Rose flavors were my own devising- be logical, but creative!)
and Shrewsbury Cakes are as follows, courtesy of my friend Lauren-
1/2 pound butter
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon mace
2 tablespoons brandy
1 tablespoon rosewater
4 cups flour
1. Cream together butter and sugar.
2. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
3. Beat in nutmeg, cinnamon, and mace.
4. Add brandy and rosewater.
5. Beat in flour, 1/2 cup at a time. The dough will be sticky; flour hands to form dough into balls.
6. Put balls of dough on parchment paper or on a greased baking sheet, and bake in 350 degree oven. After about 10 minutes, sprinkle the cakes with sugar and return to the oven for a total of 20 minutes, or until the cakes are lightly browned.
7. Remove from pan and cool on a rack. Yield: 60-80 cakes depending on the size of the balls.
Happy baking, and remember- the only failure is not trying!